Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

My Grandmother's Breakfast Casserole


It is finally cold here in Charleston which makes me nostalgic for my favorite breakfast casserole. This isn't exactly healthy but it is delicious and hearty. I've gotten to enjoy it every Christmas morning for as long as I can remember. When I was a little girl it was my job to cut off the crust, now that I am older I generally make the whole thing. And an important note for all your health freaks out there, I know white bread is terrible for you but it is a key to this recipe (don't substitute wheat bread it won't be as good)

Nola Thompson’s Christmas Brunch Egg Casserole

12 slices of white bread (remove crust)

11/2 lbs of chopped ham
1 lb grated New York sharp cheddar cheese

6 more slices of white bread for top (remove crust)


Butter a 13 x 9 pyrex or corning ware pan. Line the bottom and about half way up the sides of the pan with the 12 slices of bread MIX together: 3 eggs 3 cups of milk ½ t dry mustard pinch salt dash of worcestershire sauce dash nutmeg Put grated cheese on bread that is in the pan. Add ham. Put 6 slices of bread on top. Pour liquid mixture overall. Refrigerate overnight.

NEXT DAY
Melt ¼ lb butter. Stir in 4-5 cups of corn flakes. Bake the casserole for 60-90 minutes at 300 degrees. Top the casserole with the corn flakes for the last 15 minutes of baking.

1 comment:

  1. omg YUM! tyler's mom always makes us breakfast casserole and it's one of my favorite indulgences. this one looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete