Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

GREEN CURRY

green curry, originally uploaded by thompswl.
The holidays are over, and I am back to work. I can't believe it is 2010! As I thought about the past year (and decade) I was amazed at all the changes. It's been quite a year. I've never been one to make resolutions, but after finishing Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma I can't help but hope that this year I eat in a more aware manner. I came across this recipe several months ago on the 101 Cookbooks website. The temperature keeps dropping in Charleston and this seemed like a warm, hearty and healthy option. I made jasmine rice to serve with the curry. YUM!

2 teaspoons green curry paste*
scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 14-ounce can coconut milk (light ok)
1 large onion, sliced
14 ounces water or light vegetable broth
6 ounces of firm tofu cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
2 cups asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch segments
squeeze of fresh lime juice
1/4 cup small basil leaves

In a large thick bottom pot over medium heat whisk the curry paste with the salt and a small splash of the coconut milk. Simmer for just a minute. Add the onion and saute until it softens up, just a minute or so. Add the rest of the coconut milk and broth and simmer for another five minutes. Taste and adjust for flavor - this would be the time to add more curry paste if needed

Stir in the tofu and (JUST BEFORE SERVING) the peas and asparagus, simmer for just a minute or two, just long enough for the vegetables to cook a bit. Finish the pot with a squeeze of lime and basil leaves. Taste, and adjust seasoning again if needed.

Serves 4.

2 comments:

  1. I've been craving warm and spicy and have been trying out the vegan/vegetarian thing this week. On my third day and while I'm a little over the green shakes, the food is good. I can do this. Not full-time but maybe most-time! This recipe looks like exactly what I want right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eating this right now. It is delicious. I put some raw kale between the rice and the curry mixture and it cooked the kale down a bit for a little nutrition plus-up. Plus sriracha because yes. This is delicious. Thanks sooo much for the inspiration/recipe!

    ReplyDelete