Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Fountainhead


As a person that has always enjoyed reading immensely it is very difficult to pick a favorite author or for that matter a favorite book. That being said The Fountainhead is always at the top of my long list. Ayn Rand may be a little nutty and I found Atlas Shrugged (her more critically acclaimed book) to be long winded but her depiction of Howard Roark as the ideal man has always resonated with my idealistic spirit. Having found out some time ago that she was involved romantically with Frank Lloyd Wright I've often wondered if he served as character inspiration. My friend Lucy who is in the auction business actually owns Wright's rendering of a home he designed for Ayn Rand. Quite the romantic gesture, it's a shame it was never built. 

2 comments:

  1. While I can't bring myself to agree with her on most fronts, I found both The Fountainhead AND Atlas Shrugged to be immensely inspiring. At the very least she deserves thanks for giving us a couple baadass women in fiction. Dagney and Dominique FTW.

    Also, I can't believe Lucy owns the rendering...that's incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more, Dominique's character is central to my adoration for the book. On another note it will be interesting to see how Angelina brings Dagney to life in the upcoming movie. Jolie wouldn't have been my pick, I envision someone a bit more ethereal and statuesque.

    ReplyDelete