Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

Guardian Ad Litem

Tonight was my first night of Guardian Ad Litem training and what a night it was. For those of you who don't know the mission of Guardian Ad Litem is to provide a volunteer advocate for every child who is the subject of an abuse and neglect proceeding in South Carolina. All of the statistics were astounding, I had no idea that there are 860,000 children that enter into the foster system each year in this country and 5 children that die everyday from abuse and neglect. It seems impossible, and it is heartbreaking. 

The story that most moved me though was about a nine year old young boy who was living in the woods with his mother and her boyfriend of the week. When DSS finally located the family and removed the young man from his home he was placed in temporary housing. His guardian came to visit him after 2 days and 1 night.  She noticed that his tennis shoes had holes and that his toes were peaking through the end of his sneakers. She told the young boy that she would like to take him to get a new pair of shoes. The young man politely replied that it wouldn't be necessary. She said, "but son it is part of my job I can get you a new pair of shoes since yours have holes." He replied sweetly "No Ma'am that is OK, last night I got to take a real shower, and then when I got out I had clean pajamas and a real bed to sleep in, I've got everything I need." 

Pretty incredible huh? It made me think about all the things I take for granted. Needless to say I'm feeling particularly blessed tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment